Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Barely Contained

Inspirational song: Heaven Help My Heart (Chess)

When I left a week and a half ago, the garden center gates at Lowe's were not even open for customers yet. I went today on a non-plant-related mission (more on that in upcoming days, but a hint in the photos), and I had to park by the garden center. I had no choice, I swear. All the other handicap spots were taken, and my low back is still hurting. I needed to be close. I parked, I looked at the store, and sent my kids a picture with the caption, "heaven help my heart." They recognized the danger.

I didn't actually buy any plants, but I did kind of fall in love with a tree-slash-shrub related to something I want. I want to try a topiary, and I saw someone who had a lemon cypress one. I think that would be cool, to spiral-cut a cypress and keep it in a pot. They didn't have those, but they had this insanely beautiful weeping cypress that made me yearn for a much larger yard in which to put it. If I can't find a cypress, I think I can try to topiary a regular boxwood, either in a one or two tier pouf. That might be a good starter.

This was the first time this year that Denver recorded a high of 70. I think we might have already gotten there once recently, but don't quote me on that. It was beautiful, and it's supposed to be above freezing overnight for most of the forecast (Saturday is iffy). I have decided it is time to start moving some hardy plants outside. At my daughter's apartment in LA, she has a ficus elastica (rubber tree) next to the staircase that is more than two stories tall, and it was three until the apartment manager cut it back. This tells me that I can grow my elasticas outside, even if it gets a little chilly. I took all three outside and set them on the tiers on the front porch. I am officially in the container garden business again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment