Thursday, April 11, 2024

Something to Look At

Inspirational song: Slainte Mhath (Marillion)

The kitchen is starting to feel more settled. I put my family art back up in the freshly painted corner, in a slightly different configuration. I added one more photograph for balance. Would be nice to get a piece of art from my younger daughter. My elder's contribution is the collection of rocks with tiny fossils. But for now, it feels good. I'm trying to remember the exact shade of pale blue that my grandmother's house was in the 1970s. It may lie somewhere between the sky blue I'm using now, and the grayish blue that I made in the rest of the public spaces years ago (that is difficult to recreate). It does seem a tribute to my ancestral home to make it all this color, though. 

I had to run to Walmart this afternoon (don't ask--it had to be there), and naturally I looked to see what they had put in the garden center. I have a desire to learn topiary this season, and I don't want to pay a lot for practice shrubbery. Little one gallon shrubs were 10 bucks there. I saw boxwood, dwarf Alberta spruce, and arborvitae, all of which might have worked. I looked and looked for something with a strong central trunk, and failed to find one. I was about to give up when I noticed yew on the next row over. I have wanted to grow yew for ages, and it would make an excellent topiary. Plus it should be somewhat easy to propagate the cuttings, so I can keep making new ones to learn the craft on. 

And since the garden center folks were in the process of unwrapping and setting out a whole shipment of flowers, of course I looked at those. There are still some cool nights ahead, so I chose early spring flowers that could handle it. Two packs of violas later, there is color on the porch. VoilĂ , violas!

No comments:

Post a Comment