Thursday, April 25, 2024

Pale and Weedy

Inspirational song: Everything's Coming Up Roses (Ethel Merman)

What a day. I had been stressing for weeks over my real estate insurance renewal, and after Mr S-P offered the advice I wanted to hear, I started working on a plan. Today I requested a quote from a different company, for a scaled-back policy (appropriate for changing needs), and I got the perfect offer. I even paid in full, no need for the financing from last year that just tacked fees on top of fees on top of fees. Old policy expires next month, and I informed them I would not renew.

I felt so relieved that I went out and did things just for me. I put on clothes I could get grubby in, and plopped myself down on the ground to pull weeds. I had the big pop-up can so I make fewer trips to the compost bin, and I remembered to bring a cane so I could get myself off the ground once my hip was too sore to be there anymore. I mostly worked thistles, dandelions, and grasses out of the mulch along the pathway, and at the end I tried getting into the areas that hadn't gotten mulch at all yet. They were much thicker with weeds, and harder to pull. The ground was sopping wet, and the soil had far more clay than I remembered. My progress halted soon after I switched directions. But for all the effort, it was sure nice sitting under several blooming lilacs. The smell was heavenly.

I gave up around 1:30 in the afternoon, and came in to cool off and have lunch. I stared out the window the whole time I ate, waiting for the FedEx truck. I ordered a Gertrude Jekyll climbing rose in early March, and I had to wait until it was time to plant in my zone before they would send it. Today it arrived, in its bareroot splendor. I just wish I'd gotten its spot free of weeds. That's tomorrow's job.

No comments:

Post a Comment