Friday, April 5, 2024

Sneezy Time

Inspirational song: Doctor Wu (Steely Dan)

Yesterday I wandered through the front garden, looking for signs of life in my hostas. So far I found four just beginning to break ground, including my Proven Winners Empress Wu, a blue-green hosta that could eventually top out at 4-5 feet tall and over 6 feet wife. It took me two tries to get one of these to take. The first time, I didn't get it in the ground soon enough or deep enough, and it didn't overwinter successfully. There is at least one more out there that I forgot to check, but I bet it is going to come up just fine. The heuchera (coral bells), brunnera, and sedum we planted on the shade mound along with three of the hostas, also are making good progress.

Today when I went to pick up my daughter, I noticed that we have several daffodils and hyacinths in bloom. Did I stop to photograph them for tonight? Of course not. I saw the beginnings of peonies, and the healthy starts of delphinium that have been showing for two weeks. I'm so glad flower season is here. Now if David Austin roses would hurry up and ship the Gertrude Jekyll climbing rose I ordered in March, we will be in business.

I don't know whether it's the start of pollen season, or did I come home from California with a spring cold, but I have been sneezy and congested for days. Whatever it is, I'm about to take a combo antihistamine and decongestant, and watch weird YouTube videos until the colors all blend together. Hasta maƱana.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment