Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Clean Babies

Inspirational song: Splish Splash (Bobby Darin)

On short notice, we found out we would be watching Dino today. One of the kids got called into work to cover for a sick associate. She showed up just before noon today, in a really good mood. We are definitely getting treated to a lot more alert and happy time than one might expect with a baby this young, and I will not take this for granted.

We picked up some more baby foods, this time heavily weighted towards vegetables. I know she likes carrots and was lukewarm on sweet potatoes. Today's adventure time was to the land of peas. They don't seem to sell them in the first stage foods, but I found them in stage two, and they were plenty soft and watery for a five month old to masticate. She knew what was up when I loaded her into the high chair and propped her in place with a travel pillow. Her expression said it all. She likes these food experiments. She made funny faces once the peas came at her, but she didn't turn away from them a single time. She grabbed the spoon many times, just like Sunday with the prunes. All in all I think a quarter of the container went into her, with a smidge more on her face and clothes. Good start, I'd say.

I promised her mama I would give her a bath after foods, and I'd say even with all the other fun we had had up to that point, the bath was her favorite thing we did all day. She is a water baby. Loves it. She kicks and splashes and has a blast. I tried a new outfit on her, with leggings and a fuzzy sweater. I guess other babies aren't as narrow as the ones I and my daughter made. The leggings were a bit saggy. You'd think we don't feed this child (I feel like that's all I do). 

By the end of the evening, I discovered I wasn't done bathing the little girls of the family. It was Wednesday, and thus it was doggy bath night too. She has spent enough time on Auntie Elsa's bed that she started to take on a special funk. (Elsa eats a different diet, and doesn't smell nearly as naturally good as Saoirse.) I can say with complete authority, puppies do not like bath as much as human babies. She whined the whole time, and was obviously miserable. Once out of the tub, she was freaked out by the towel. The only way she was happy was when she curled up in my lap, in my chair, and slept on me for an hour. I draped the baby's towel over her, and between it and my clothes, she dried. Now she is the softest dog I have ever felt. Like a bunny pelt. She may hate it, but this was worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment