Saturday, October 3, 2020

Up and Down

Inspirational song: The Battle of Evermore (Led Zeppelin)

I was getting ready for my zoom webinar this morning, when I noticed Harvey sitting at the closed door to the craft/dressing room. There was a shadow visible under it. I got down on the floor and peeked under. When I had gone down to pick up Saoirse two weeks ago, I pulled the deck out of my hatchback, lying to myself that she would ride in an open carrier in the way back. (She had climbed over the seat by the time we reached the gate on the ranch.) I set the car deck piece against the mirror on the side of the closet in the dressing room, and left it.

The shadow under the door was that deck. Having fallen against the door, it pushed it closed all the way and wedged under it by about a sixteenth of an inch. I reached under and tried to pry it up so I could push it, and it wouldn't budge. I tried to slide it so it would go into the room, and same problem. Then I heard the loud, rumbling purr. Jackie was not only trapped in that room, she was sitting on the thing that had to move if she was to be freed. 

I had to give up and attend my webinar, that lasted over two hours. She was unhappy to be left there so long. I had hoped she would get bored and move to the daybed or something. I tried to think of a lever I could use to pry up the blockage. I eventually settled on a crowbar, and it wouldn't raise it up high enough to use the door to push it back up. I had to call for reinforcements. My daughter was nearby, going through a fast food restaurant a few blocks from here. She came over, got a ladder, and pried open the window. We pulled Jackie out first, and then my daughter climbed in and moved the offending car part. Good thing she was able to be here. There was no way I would have made it in that window, especially after all the times I had to get on the floor and back up again, in my quest to fix the situation from the wrong side.

A few hours later, the mountain crew came back home. Not five minutes after the Mr left here again (he went to the same daughter's house for dinner but I stayed home, not feeling well), I heard noises and looked out back. There was Saoirse, standing over a flipped over Murray, the two of them doing their best Nala and Simba impressions. ("Flipped ya again!") It made more sense for me to remove his wheelchair than to stand him up. He would have only gone down again as soon as I turned my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment