Saturday, October 17, 2020

Mixed Bag

Inspirational song: Thank You (Led Zeppelin)

What a decent day this turned out to be...for me personally, that is. People in the county west of here, much less so. But I digress. First, the good stuff.

I decided if there was a day to cheat on my thyroid-fixing, low-carb diet, then my birthday was it. I set out the ingredients for cassava flour crepes, with berries and cottage cheese filling, and then I sat and enjoyed my coffee before starting to cook. In that time, I had surprise visitors, a fairy princess and her magical unicorn, so I set out another egg to increase the number of crepes, and a jar of baby food apples. We had brunch and sat around and visited a good long time. I meant to take group photos with me and the girls in their fancy clothes, but it never really happened. 

While we were visiting, I noticed reports on Twitter from the same local journalist I mentioned yesterday, that the mountain community of Jamestown was being evacuated, due to a new fire: the Calwood. Little did we realize how fast this one would blow up. The evacuation area expanded, and the skies outside darkened quickly. The girls and I went up to Walmart for a couple of things (e.g. for my daughter to see whether a box fan and an air filter would improve air quality during this smoky time). The view from there was heart-rending.

Saoirse and I went to puppy training class, and she did great this time. Much more focused than last week. My older daughter called right as we were wrapping up, so we talked to her on the drive home. (I talked, Saoirse whined.) Later, the Mr suggested we go to a restaurant for steaks, but once we arrived and I saw crowds, I balked at eating inside with other people. So we ordered it to go, and while we waited, we drove to the western, rural side of town, where we could see the fire. And boy, could we. It's bad, y'all. Very bad. And close. This side of the foothills is glowing orange. We are convinced we can see structure fires from here. They said the fire jumped highway 36 between Boulder and Lyons, and we fear for the Greenbriar Inn. There are rumors flying on social media about it being on fire/burned up. We most likely won't know until first daylight tomorrow, or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment