Sunday, October 18, 2020

Hiking Stick

Inspirational song: Take the Long Way Home (Supertramp)

I'm starting writing early tonight, so that when I get home I can take a little somethin'-somethin' to relax my sore and tired muscles, and then go sit in the hot tub until it's real bedtime. I made my one trip to the cabin today, an excursion I have deeply wanted but couldn't arrange until today. I almost wiped out, but I had other people counting on this trip, so I powered through.

It was originally proposed as a trip for yesterday, actually on the day of my birthday, to go up to the cabin with T & A (she had never been up), to hang out and grill steaks. I had a GOTV webinar yesterday morning and puppy training at night, so we pushed to today. The neighbors also brought all three of their dogs, so we drove most of the way in two separate vehicles, and then just crammed into one for the difficult last section of 4WD driving at the end. (As we return home now, I'm getting texts from the trailing car, wondering what the hell is up with Mr S-P, taking a roundabout way home, confusing A as she tries to keep up.) 

For the first time in the five years we have owned this remote, barely accessible mining claim, I grabbed my cane for a little assistance navigating the rough terrain. Why did it take me so long to do this? Even with being so out of shape and still not having full lung capacity, this was the easiest climb of all of them. The cane helped to stabilize my wobbly hips and ankles, and gave me a boost for my quads, which have deteriorated significantly since my younger days when I was an enthusiastic weight lifter. I will never do this climb without it again.

The cabin has come so far since I was there last. He completed all of the interior cladding, and got the loft finalized. The deck surface is done, along with a ramp for Murray (and Mommy). The deck cover is about a third done. The power cables coming from the solar cables are now buried, and there are now big deep-cycle batteries for energy storage. And this year he finally deconstructed the tepee that was his original structure on the property.

It was a little chilly on the hill, and it won't be much warmer until next spring. This was my best and last chance to go. I'm a little sad that build season is over, but I will be so glad to see 2020 in the rear view mirror, I am just relieved to have made it this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment