Sunday, October 17, 2021

Buffet

Inspirational song: Evil Woman (Electric Light Orchestra)

The number one, absolute best birthday present in the world is what I asked for this year and received today: companionship. It's what I ask for most times anymore. I don't need a lot of stuff. I have more of that than I can handle. What I need is quality time with people I care about. Boy, did I get a whole heap of that!

I did kind of ask for someone else to cook for me, and damned if I didn't end up on my feet for hours prepping and frying up eggplant and chicken parmesan anyway. It was much like that time a few years ago when I made schnitzel for our D&D group, and I was the last one to sit down and eat, even though it was my birthday dinner. Still neighbors cooked some and so did one daughter. Other daughter sent me treats from a gluten-free bakery she likes, 2-day FedEx. It still counts as a win. We all ate until we were ridiculously full. T said it was as bad as Thanksgiving, how bloated he felt. I could only nod in solidarity.

I have thought up a neat idea, and I can only hope I follow up on it over the long run. I bought Shrinky Dink paper for a Halloween project, and it occurred to me how fun it would be to have Valerie draw in a couple bits for us. My plan is to have her do this on my birthday and hers, so they are roughly a half year apart (lop-sided by one month), to show progress over time in her drawing ability. I will turn these little rectangles into charms for her mother and me to wear as necklaces or bracelets. I'm not upset that I missed her first birthday. She wasn't old enough to comprehend marking with a pen then.

Once the baby went home, to pretend to fall asleep (i.e. roll all around the bed and giggle while her parents try desperately to get her to conk out), the remaining adults watched Halloween Kills, the latest iteration of the movie franchise I started watching in high school. I won't give away any spoilers, but I will say we did not think this was the best installment in the series. There were a lot of problems with it. But A and I are really into scary movies in October, so we stuck it out. We are going to bring ourselves back to rights by watching Shaun of the Dead this week. That will be much better. And do you know that I have never seen Hocus Pocus? Maybe that will come this year too.

No comments:

Post a Comment