Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Talk It Out

Inspirational song: Speak to Me/Breathe (Pink Floyd)

For a while now, I've been wanting to get a somewhat bigger car, now that I have to fit a baby seat in the back and a ginormous dog in the front. I've been enjoying the first Ford I ever bought, but it is just so tiny. Sure, I got a very small car on purpose, to feel like I could maneuver it through those narrow cobblestone streets and parking garages in downtown Charleston, but I haven't lived there in years. I need to spread out a little now, and I keep thinking I ought to move up to my grown-up realtor car. I wanted an Escape, until it dawned on me that even that would be a snug fit for a baby seat. So maybe an Edge or Explorer? To complicate it all, I keep getting my head turned by Lincolns, which are basically the same cars but much prettier. Those would have to wait until I'm selling a lot more houses, but that doesn't stop me from watching reviews of them on YouTube. Who needs to buy or sell a house in northern Colorado in the next few months? Hit me up. I need to get back to work now that active cancer treatment is essentially done again. It would be much better to have an income before I commit to a new car. 

As I was walking out of my penultimate radiation treatment, the guy leaving at the same as me looked at the car he was getting into and then at mine, and said, "they're almost the same blue," as a conversation opener. He was driving a blue 2021 Lincoln Corsair, the car that spurred my interest in that line. We chatted about Fords and Lincolns, and he let me poke my head in his car to see whether it was as small as I feared (yes, too little for baby seat). He recommended a dealer for either direction I go, confirming my gut instinct for who was good and who was to be avoided in this area. I felt fortunate that we struck up a conversation, even though I'm still just in the contemplative stage.

My buddy who rides with me to Rotary wanted to pin down the mayoral candidate in our club for a chat, to help us decide between him and another good person running for the same office. We invited him to sit at our table, and he was kind enough to stay a good 20 minutes past the end of the meeting, letting her absolutely grill him. I mostly listened, only chiming in a few times. I was impressed, and I think I have been persuaded to support him. Either of the two we considered would be good choices, but his evidence-based philosophy won me over. That, and his willingness to let a couple of women ask him when will we finally get that damned commuter rail system we have been paying for since 2004, and give a serious answer, not just throw his hands up and swear like the rest of us do.

No comments:

Post a Comment