Friday, October 15, 2021

Long Visit

Inspirational song: Freedom of Choice (Devo)

In the grand tradition of McDonald's shake machines, the radiation machine broke again today. I didn't check my phone before heading out, so I missed the voice mail telling me not to come. That's okay. I was planning on picking up the baby after my appointment anyway, so I just went early to her house. I called to say I was on my way, and they told her I was coming as I passed the stoplight closest to her house. She was standing by the door, watching me drive up, smiling. I didn't expect that to have the thrilling impact that it did, seeing her there, anticipating arrival. I still have a warm, fizzy feeling when I think about it.

She was as good as gold for us all day. Curious, happy, enthusiastic--all the good things for a toddler to be. She and I played for a couple of hours and had some snacks, then grandpa took her out to pick up apples at a neighboring property. The videos from that trip were amusing. The little girl who loves apples ("pabu" in her dialect) was surrounded by more of them than she could grab. She came back with three partially-nibbled apples on the cup holder of her stroller. Then it was nap time, and I took her into a dark room and spoke softly until she sacked out against me, lying back across my belly like I was a recliner. We slept like that over an hour, until she moved and put her head on my arm for another half hour.

She had a dinner date with her parents at a sushi restaurant, so I gave her a bath and dressed her in CU regalia. When I saw on my phone my daughter had texted they were on their way, I said it out loud. She immediately started watching out the window, same as she did for me. They arrived seconds later, and had the same experience, giddily greeting her through the glass. I say this every month, but man, this is a great age.

No comments:

Post a Comment