Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Cuter Than the Legal Limit

Inspirational song: The Trees (Rush)

I'm pretty sure I said something yesterday about how that kid was only away from me for a week, but she returned way more than a week's worth of cuter and smarter. I seriously underestimated how much adorable growth happened in that week. I video chatted with her mommy to coordinate dinner for game night, and she grabbed the phone and ran with it. It was like watching a dog with a GoPro on a toy. At one point she set the phone down to dance, and then she popped back in sideways and said hi. Thank God I had the presence of mind to take a screenshot.

She went to a pumpkin patch today with her parents. They sent back bunches of photos and video (coincidentally right as I was reading a Thoughts of Dog tweet reminding us that this is every pumpkin's first Halloween, so we have to make it special for them). They played in a maze and met a grasshopper and generally had a marvelous time. One of the photos ranks up there with the all-time greats. She was walking away in the patch, sticks in her hand, and it had an epic movie vibe to it. That was a keeper.

And then she came over for game night. Kid knows how to work a room. She was so funny and so silly. She's got to be only a few months out from us needing to whip out Chutes and Ladders or Candyland for board game weeks. That will be a milestone event, and I can't wait to write about it.

One of our games wasn't too far off of Chutes and Ladders. It was a quick thing called Tsuro, with dragons flying routes, trying to be the last dragon in the air. She might pick that one up pretty quickly. The other one will take a little longer. It was called Photosynthesis, and it took almost as long to be taught the rules as it took to play. Of course, by that point the baby had gone home, and we were deeper into adult refreshments. The point was growing trees from seed to harvest, and strategically casting shade on your competitors. We played as teams, and my foster daughter and I did not win, but we picked it up quickly. I felt good about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment