Friday, October 8, 2021

Sweet Elixir of Dreams

Inspirational song: Dancing in the Moonlight (Van Morrison)

It's the only thing that tastes like RED and GREEN. --Lewis Black

The cancer center called first thing this morning to cancel my appointment, while their radiation machine was broken. I was glad for the reprieve, especially since I could barely bark out a few coherent syllables with my croaky voice. When they called back later after lunch to say it was fixed and did I want to have my regular visit, I said no, I didn't want to give them my cold. ("Said" is a generous way to describe how I imparted information.) I took my temperature (still fine) and checked O2 (low 90s, normal for me). I dug out an ancient jar of Vick's Vapor Rub and gave it a sniff before rubbing it along my collarbone. All good.

A friend drove through town, and I had planned for a month to meet up with her somewhere. With this cold, we decided the safest place was at the park up the street. We declined to hug, and we sat and talked in the open air for half an hour or so. Saoirse wanted all the attention, and three times she jumped up on the table between us. Naughty puppy. Maybe she was just protecting mommy's friend from getting germs on her.

I had the Mr pick up some real brand name NyQuil for me, in classic green liquid. I had him get DayQuil in capsule form, because it doesn't taste as good. I tried to stay up in my chair as long as I could after I took it. That lasted all of about 15 minutes. I went to bed, and raised up the pillow side, so my sinuses would drain.

Saoirse woke me after a couple hours, wanting to be let out. I took a bathroom break while I was up for her, and I picked up the Vick's again. Put it right next to my nose and ... nothing. I sniffed again. Maybe it was the NyQuil? I went to the kitchen. Put my nose into a strongly scented candle. Nope.

Well, crap.

I registered both of us online for the testing site at the fairgrounds. It says no appointment needed, so we will go first thing in the morning, right as it opens. I'll let y'all know what I learn, in a few days. Until then, I'll be letting DayQuil and NyQuil keep my mind off things. Slainté!

No comments:

Post a Comment