Saturday, October 30, 2021

Dawn Patrol

Inspirational song: Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats (Cats)

My goodness. Last night was painful. I sat in one spot, doing a teeny-tiny blanket stitch of sorts, putting as many details on that sleeper-costume as I possibly could before I fell apart. My daughter said she wanted me to get at least the green and red details before the parade, so I just kept going. I listened to hour-long podcasts, and full-length comedy specials, and I sewed and sewed and sewed. At 1:30, I was glad it wasn't yet 2:00. At 2:55, I looked up in horror that it was nearly 3:00. I think I whined audibly from 4:00 to 4:30. At 4:56, I took a picture of the costume draped over the ottoman, and texted it to my daughter, saying that I would not be going any farther, and I also would not be greeting her when she picked it up. I then took a muscle relaxer (I was one giant knot by then), and I went to bed. I remember nothing else until the Mr peeked in at 11:30, wondering whether I was still alive. I came out after noon, and found a thank-you present next to my sewing mess.

They had a grand time at the parade, while I was happily sleeping the morning away. When my daughter came back with the suit so I could add more to it, she showed me how it needed to be washed, because it had bits of breakfast and baby's first Tootsie Roll on it. (They said she ate the Tootsie Roll through the paper before they caught her in the act.) Once clean and dry, I added black shapes to the arms and I created orange and black stripes to go over the shoulders, that are pinned but not attached. I realize that I didn't get a photo of where it stands tonight, but I am in bed now, and my body hurts too much to go get a picture from the living room. You'll see the whole thing in the Halloween night post.

While I stitched, the others carved a whole bunch of pumpkins. The Mr did the gutting and face-carving, and our daughter separated guts from seeds while Valerie supervised. He prefers very classic primitive face forms, so that is what all of them are. The consensus favorite was the "kitty" face.

No comments:

Post a Comment