Monday, October 11, 2021

Rearrange

Inspirational song: Starting Over (John Lennon)

The first hard freeze of the season is supposed to happen this week. At first they predicted it for tomorrow, but they have pushed it back until Thursday. Still, we got on top of things and pulled some key plants inside for the winter. We have several amaryllis in a large container that we keep on the back porch, next to a couple scraggly lemon trees that have yet to grow over two feet tall. On the front porch we have the very large ficus tree that has been in our family over thirty years. All of these came inside today. I had asked for help with all of them, but with my new furniture coming any second now (FedEx updated me to Tuesday end of day), I needed to prepare the space. While the Mr was gone to his Monday meeting, I manhandled the ficus in from the porch. I figured if I can move that spinnet piano at Rotary by myself, I could get one potted tree over the threshold. It was harder work than I expected. I sat and stared at it a while in the entryway, wondering how the heck I was getting it into place. In small bites, that's how.

All day, since I got back from radiation, I did tiny bursts of cleaning, in between sudden rest stops. I pulled my chair out from its corner (and rested). I vacuumed (and rested). I sprayed carpet cleaner and used a brush to work it in (ibid). Carpet shampooer came out. I moved other plants around. Stop and start and stop and start. Now I'm in the middle of the room, where I left the chair last, feeling that sense of disorientation you get when you pull stuff around to pack up and move to a different house. I hope that fades soon, because I really do not want to move, ever again.

Other than all of the quick breaks, I am getting some strength back. I can sort of smell stuff. My nose is less runny and my eyes are no longer scary scarlet. I am on the far side of that head cold and I am counting my blessings that it was only a cold. 

(If you are wondering about the bits of fake Christmas tree in the ficus, that is to keep a certain naughty Murder Floof from digging in it, and leaving unwanted gifts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment