Tuesday, October 26, 2021

See It All

Inspirational song: Look Sharp! (Joe Jackson)

Thirty minutes past the point I expected to stop last night, I tried on the rough-finished vest part of my costume, and... it was too big. Like miles too big. Not "a dart down the back and good" big, but "rip out the side and princess seams and recut the pieces" big. So I gave up and went to bed. I was too tired this morning to do any more on it. In the parlance of this week's internet fad, it was a no bones day. I went ahead and practiced getting my red hair wild and curly like the Disney Princess I'm copying, and that was my solace. I'll get the rest of the costume done by Halloween (hopefully).

I had a dermatology appointment this afternoon. I go a couple times a year now for thorough skin checks, after the skin cancer that made my nose asymmetrical. She looked me over head to toe (and I mean scalp to ankles, really), and declared me in good shape. I had a couple spots on my face that made me fearful, and they were great. I'm always freaked out if I even get a clogged pore near the side of my nose where they removed the last chunk. I have had enough pieces of me cut off to last a while, even if I do have another bit to remove in six months, after the radiation finishes simmering. It was nice having one doctor declare that everything was currently perfect. I don't hear that often anymore.

I'm discovering how lovely it is to have a giant cushy chair positioned where I can melt and look out the window at the fall colors in the neighborhood. Most people are being slow raking up leaves, and that makes me so happy. If the leaves didn't get slick when it rains, I'd be thrilled if no one ever raked. I came home from my appointment via a route where I could see long views of all the trees in their spectacular colors, made even more beautiful by a heavy cloud cover as a fast-moving weather event rolled through. I try to focus on the colors at least once a day, more when I can. It's so soul-soothing, and it's one of those things that is best savored live, not in photos. This truly is my favorite time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment