Sunday, October 24, 2021

Prep Work

Inspirational song: Save It for Later (English Beat)

For a couple of years now, I've been worried that Slow Hand, my beloved and trusted massage therapist, would decide it was time to pack it up and retire. Both times that I disappeared for months at a time, during chemo and then early-stage pandemic, I worried that I would return and he'd be gone. Now, twice since summer, Massage Envy has sent me text notifications of canceled appointments. I am more concerned than ever he will decide he is getting too old and broken down to keep going. I had been thinking of rescheduling the appointment that was supposed to be next Friday, with someone new, so I could "interview" new therapists, as it were. Today, fate took over, breaking me out of my procrastination.

I got a call right around lunchtime asking whether I wanted to take a spot at 5:30 today. I thought it over for about half a second, and jumped on it. The young woman I met was approachable, knowledgeable, and experienced. She and I clicked from the first few moments of my visit. She is plugged in to the local medical community, and either has direct experience or family/friends with a lot of the same things I'm going through. I didn't have to do a whole lot of explaining. She read Slow Hand's notes on my chart, and knew exactly how to approach my problem areas. I came out of that massage feeling amazing, and now I know who I can go to if/when my dear friend decides to retire.

The one problem with taking this appointment last minute is I ruined my plans for the day. I was supposed to be starting my Halloween costume, and now with me all loose and limber, I'm reluctant to sit on the floor to cut out fabric (my usual work space). I don't want to mess up my happy muscles, but I may have no choice. Need to have the costume wearable by Tuesday. Gotta get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment